WSPA has a long history advocating for mental health, the field of psychology, and social issues that affect Washingtonians.
The historic priorities WSPA has always supported in regard to policy and regulatory issues are:
- Maintaining the integrity and strength of psychology licensing laws
- Address any bills that affect disciplinary process (e.g. sentencing guidelines of unprofessional conduct)
- Address any bills that affect how we practice (e.g. changes to mental health parity or insurance)
- Social justice legislation (e.g. conversion therapy)
Our Legislative Agenda
- Support for legislation protecting the clinical records and licenses of psychologist working with clients living in states with more restrictive laws (e.g., gender-affirming treatment, reproductive healthcare services)
- Support for legislation to expand psychologists’ scope of practice to include prescription privileges with appropriate training (HB 1041)
- Support for legislation enforcing and expanding mental health parity
- Review of legislation impacting workforce issues for psychologists and the reimbursement of services provided by trainees
- Review of legislation impacting licensure for psychologists in Washington State
WSPA is actively reviewing all legislation for 2023
Want to Talk about Legislation?
WSPA encourages members to advocate on behalf of our profession and in other domains that impact psychologists and our clients. Should you become aware of legislation and think WSPA needs to review it for consideration, please send all relevant information to our Director of Professional Affairs at DPA@WSPApsych.org.